What is First Fives?
First Fives is a bridge between preschool and kindergarten for children turning 5 years old between September and December. It gives young learners a head start and provides them with an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment that is tailored to meet their academic or social needs.
- It helps children adjust to the school environment and develop strong learning skills.
- First Fives provides children with the gift of time to learn skills that will help them build a strong foundation for success in elementary school.
- First Fives gives children the opportunity to spend time learning important social, emotional, and academic skills that will help them succeed in kindergarten and beyond.
- First Fives provides young 5 year olds with an opportunity to start their kindergarten experience with children their own age and a teacher who can tailor lessons to their needs.
First Fives is a program designed for our younger students to provide opportunities for guided growth before experiencing kindergarten.
Is First Fives Right For My Child?
First Fives is designed for children who:
- Are eligible to attend kindergarten, having turned five on or before September 1, 2017; (signed waiver for 9/1-12/1)
- Are developmentally young
- Will benefit from classroom instruction designed with more frequent movement, reduced length of instructional periods, increased use of manipulative and motor activities and a focus on to social and emotional development
The Ferndale Schools Kindergarten curriculum serves as the basis for the First Fives program with instruction provided in all core content areas. Pre-reading, writing, speaking and listening skills are emphasized as are mathematics skills.
Benefits of First Fives
For Your Child
- Opportunity to learn through play
- Experience with other children to help develop strong social emotional skills and positive self -esteem
- Exposure to educational materials to help develop strong literacy skills
- Small class sizes for greater student teacher interactions
- Full day program to acclimate to a kindergarten schedule
- Participation in individual, small -group, and large -group activities
- Professional educators with experience in early childhood development
- Early connection with your child’s school
- Opportunity to take a more active role in your child’s formal education
- Knowledge that your child is getting the benefits of professional educators as part of the early learning team.
Your child will experience a rich learning environment through the First Fives program at Ferndale Lower Elementary School.
What Your Child Will Learn
- Identify shapes (2D & 3D)
- Identify position of objects (beside, next to, above)
- Count to 50 by 1’s
- Recognize and write numbers 1-10
- Demonstrate 1:1 correspondence
- Identify and create patterns
- Experiment with measurement
- Sort by attributes
- Understand More/Less Concepts
- Strengthen hand muscles through cutting, coloring, drawing, and painting
- Develop hand-eye coordination
- Print first name with a capital letter at the beginning, followed by lower case letter(s)
- Show control in jumping, hopping, catching, running, and balancing.
- Grip writing utensils correctly
- Express ideas and feelings
- Share and listen for information
- Answer questions about stories
- Hear Rhymes
- Identify uppercase and lowercase letters
- Identify letter sounds
- Recognize first name in print
- Express self in dramatic play
- Show interest in writing
- Write using pictures and symbols
- Develop vocabulary
- Develop concepts of print