Since Fall 2020, Ferndale Schools has utilized Remind for easier and more comprehensive communication between families, teachers and the school district. The Remind site and app will allow you to interact with your student’s teachers while ensuring that the district communicates with you in the ways that you prefer.
After setting up your Remind account, you can choose to receive messages via:
- automated phone calls
Ferndale parents are automatically added to Ferndale’s Remind, with your students’ names and buildings attached to your profile. This ensures that parents receive messages related to all students in your household. All you have to do is log onto the Remind website and create your account using the email address Ferndale has on file for you, or Get the Remind App.
Please note that your contact information is loaded into Remind based on what we have on file in the MISTAR system for you. If you need to change your phone or email address, log in to the MISTAR Parent Portal and click My Information in the upper right corner of the screen to review and update your information. Updates in MISTAR will take up to 24 hours to reflect in Remind.
View the video above in Spanish here »
Duplicate Remind Accounts? Merge them!
Do you think you may have a duplicate account in Remind? If you’ve used Remind in the past, it’s possible you may need to merge your accounts. Here’s how to Merge Duplicate Accounts!
Change Display Name
Would you prefer for your name to display differently? You can Change the way your name appears in Remind.
Adjust Notification Settings
If you’d like to change the way you receive messages from Remind, you can Change your notification settings. Please note that if you’ve downloaded the app, your messages will be received primarily through the app. If a message is received via the app, you will not necessarily receive a text and/or email notification as well.
How Your Students Can Add Their Cell Phone Numbers
With parental consent, students can add their cell phone numbers to their Remind accounts.
Students should login to their accounts via the Login with Google option on the web or on a mobile device using their Ferndale email information.
They can then add a phone number to their account as needed from their notification settings.
Note that students under 13 can receive class announcements on Remind, but cannot engage in personal 1:1 communications, as this is part of the broader safety permissions for younger children on Remind.
Communicate with Teachers
Teachers are using Remind to bring learning home. Teachers can send messages to an entire class, smaller groups, or individuals. These quick, simple messages can help you and your student stay informed about:
- Homework assignments
- Field trip updates
- Schedule changes
- Personalized support or feedback
- And more!
Receive School and District-level Communications
Your principal and superintendent use Remind to send out regular reminders and updates as well.
Remind is Safe
There are a number of precautions to protect individuals on Remind:
- Personal contact information stays private. Phone numbers aren’t exchanged between teachers, students, and parents.
- Messages can’t be edited or deleted, so a complete message history is always available to access and download.
- Students can only receive messages from their teachers, not other students. Students under the age of 13 need to enter a parent or guardian’s email address before using Remind.
- Everyone has the ability to report users who violate Remind’s Community Guidelines.
Remind is Accessible
Remind ensures equal access to everyone by the following measures:
- Teachers can use Remind to reach students and parents on any device, including texting-only phones—no smartphones necessary.
- Students and parents can receive Remind messages via
- push notifications on the app
- Remind is free to use for teachers, students, and parents. Standard text messaging and data rates may apply, so check to see if you’re on a per-text phone plan or a limited data plan. You can always log in to your account on the web.
- The mobile app is available in six different languages. If you use Remind in Spanish, French, Simplified Chinese, Portuguese (Brazilian), or German, you can automatically translate messages sent in different languages.
Remind is Convenient
Remind reduces the need for difficult to manage websites and lengthy newsletters.
- Remind messages are shorter than 300 characters and sent directly to your mobile phone via text, voice, or email.
- If you have the ability to compose a message, you can reach out to teachers or other parents in a class. Watch for teachers’ office hours to see when you’ll get the quickest response.
- Stay in touch on-the-go. Send PDFs, personalized voice clips, and quick photos of permission slips or assignments directly from your phone.
Join a Class in Remind
To join a Remind class, you’ll need a class code from a teacher, coach, administrator, or organization leader. If you do not have your class code, you can find your teacher's email or phone number in the Staff Directory.
Each code is unique, but it always looks like this: @classcode.
Once you have a class code, there are three ways to join the class:
- Sign up for text notifications by texting @classcode to 81010.
- Go to www.remind.com/join/classcode and follow the directions.
- Download the Remind app from the App Store or Google Play, sign up for an account with your email address, and enter the class code when prompted.