Ferndale is a community dedicated to the arts and arts education. Our music programs are leading the region. Our students perform in orchestras and ensembles across the state and beyond. Our writers and performers bring theatre to life. Our artists are fostered by a rich community of craftsmen, artisans and creatives. Come see what makes Ferndale beautiful.
Our music program produces many All-Region and All-State musicians. Our talented students consistently receive high marking at Festival performances.
Ferndale High School produces a fall play and spring musical every year as well as participating in the Michigan Thespian Festival. Our program offers honors credits as well as competitive scholarship opportunities.
We offer a variety of traditional art classes in two- and 3-dimensional art and design, metalworking and illustration as well as additional courses at the Center for Advanced Studies and the Arts (CASA)
All Ferndale School district students have the opportunity to participate in dance instruction. Numerous levels of Dance classes are offered in the Middle School, High School and at CASA (Center for Advanced Studies and the Arts). Appropriately challenging classes allow novice through expert dancers opportunity to explore ballet, jazz, contemporary, theatrical, ballroom and tap. Highly skilled and motivated dancers can audition for one or two hours per day class placement at CASA. All dance classes will perform at a semester/session concluding concert. The Ferndale High Dance Team performs at all Dance Concerts in addition to home football and basketball games.
GOLDEN EAGLE MARCHING BAND
- 1st in State 2016, Flight IV competition (7-time state-champions)
- 4th in State 2015, Awarded BEST GENERAL EFFECT
- featured in Halftime Magazine
- Straight First Division Ratings, both Middle & High School, MSBOA Festival, 2016
- Presented "Electrify Your Strings", performing with Mark Wood of Trans Siberian Orchestra
- 2nd in State 2009, Independent A competition
- Performed at Detroit International Jazz Festival
- Earned Superior Rating (1s) at MSBOA District Band Festival for the last 25 consecutive years
- 2015 2nd Place, WGI World Championship
- 2 FMS Students Nominated to Michigan Youth Arts Festival Honors Orchestra
- 6 FMS Students Join Detroit Symphony Orchestra Honors Band Festival
- 1 Student in All-State Band
- 10 FHS band students MSBOA Honors Band
- 5 orchestra students in Oakland University Honors Orchestra Weekend
- 2 MYAF (Michigan Youth Arts Festival) musicians
- Chamber Ensemble invited to audition at MYA Festival
- 8 students Oakland U Honors Orchestra
- 2 FHS Students Selected for Michigan Youth Arts Festival
- 3 Students selected to All-State Band and Orchestra
- 10 students MSBOA District 4 Honors Bands
- 2 students in Michigan Youth Arts Orchestra
- 11 DSO Middle School Youth Honors Band
- 2 Students All-State Youth Orchestra
- 1 Student All State Band
- 2 students in International Youth Symphony Orchestra Nov 201
- 3 students in MYA Orchestra
- 3 students in MYA Orchestra
- 1 Student in All State Band
The Fall Play is sponsored by the Student Enterprise Theatre, a student organization committed to introducing students to all aspects of the theatre arts including performance, design, production, tech, and promotion. Students help select the play and then participate as actors, technicians, production staff and many other facets that make a fully realized play production possible. This activity involves high school students primarily, but does open up to middle school students on occasion as well.
Michigan Thespian Festival
In December, students of the theatre department have the opportunity to participate in the Michigan Thespian Festival along with hundreds of other students from across the state. At this great event students can compete in both performance and production aspects of theatre, attend workshops by theatre arts professionals, and audition for college programs and scholarships. Additionally, students get to watch productions from various schools presented at Festival.
In the spring, The Ferndale Musical Boosters sponsor a musical theatre performance. Here some students show their talents in acting, singing, and dance, while others display their musicianship by playing in the pit orchestra or working behind the scenes in technical areas such as lighting, sound, set construction and stage management. This is the most elaborate theatre event of the season and draws mainly high school and middle school students with occasional opportunities for elementary students when appropriate.
International Thespian Society
At the end of each year, students who have participated in 2 or more productions and have earned honor points for their efforts are given the opportunity to be inducted into the International Thespian Society: Troupe 408.
Theatre Awards & Recognition
- FHS Senior earns $32,000 scholarship for Original Play, Michigan Thespian Festival, 2015
- FHS Senior awarded $72,000 scholarship to University of Detroit Mercy, 2015
Band Director: Elon Jamison
Elon Jamison, Director of Bands at Ferndale HS, earned the Bachelor of Music degree in Music Education and Bassoon Performance from Northwestern University and Master of Music degree in Wind Conducting from Michigan State University. In addition to his responsibilities teaching concert and marching bands at FHS, JFK, and Coolidge, he has also served the Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association in many capacities, and has served the Ferndale Public Schools as the Performing Arts Coordinator/Instructional Lead Teacher. Under his leadership, the band program at FHS has earned multiple marching band state championships and first division ratings at band festival. He is a committed member of the Ferndale community, living here with his wife and son. Contact Mr. Jamison at Elon.Jamison@ferndaleschools.org.