Building Safety Protocols
The information on this page is a summary of safety procedures families need to know for entering any Ferndale Schools building. View the complete list of safety protocols here »
Oakland County Health Department Guidelines
Daily Health Assessment - Clear to Go
ALL students and staff are required to submit a daily health self-assessment using the Clear to Go app.
Learn More about the Clear to Go App
The District will follow the Oakland County Health Department comprehensive screening and response plan in the event a student or staff member exhibit symptoms of COVID-19. You can view the complete Oakland County Health Department Guide below.
Ferndale Schools will follow guidance from the Oakland County Health Division with regards to face coverings.
- Face coverings are required for students and staff if they attend Learning Support Labs or Pop-Up educational opportunities in-person, unless they have a documented medical exemption. Individuals (staff or students) who claim medical exemption will need to meet with the district Health Safety Team/Principal/School Nurse to provide rationale and documentation.
Masks should FIT TIGHTLY over your ENTIRE MOUTH and NOSE.
FACE MASKS can be either REUSABLE or DISPOSABLE.
NO VALVED MASKS should be worn to school.
Students and Staff may wear FACE SHIELDS with MASKS.
NECK GAITERS and BANDANAS are NOT SUFFICIENT.
- Ferndale Schools will have masks on hand for any student or staff member who requires one. Disposable face coverings will be available at the entry of each building, in classrooms, and on school busses.
- Students and parents will be required to watch a safety video on the wearing of and expectations for maintenance of face coverings.
- Fabric and clear face coverings will be provided to preK-5 teachers and/or ancillary staff with the requirement to wear the mask during Learning Support Labs instruction.
- PreK-5 students will not be required to wear a face covering once they are situated in the classroom/Learning Support Lab unless the classroom activity places them in close (2 feet or less) proximity to other students if the county enters Phase 5.
- All 6-12 students will be required to wear face masks unless they are eating.
- Students who are capable of wearing a face covering and refuse to do so in an area where a face covering is required will be issued a face covering by a school official and asked to put the face covering on. Administrators will use restorative practices as a first line of behavior modification, and additional disciplinary measures only if needed.
- For students electing to attend the on-site Learning Support Labs (phase 4), should students show patterns of non-compliance, they will be placed in alternative locations and parents will be notified. Continued non-compliance may result in loss of Learning Support Lab access.
Face masks must be worn at all times on the bus. Face masks will be available at the entrance of the bus in the event that a student does not come to the bus equipped with the necessary item.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers will be mounted at the stepwell of each bus.
- Bus drivers, weather permitting, will keep windows open on the bus both in route and when stopped.
- Signage will be added to each bus to address the use of face masking of all students and drivers, use of hand sanitizers and cleaning protocols.
- Busses will be properly cleaned after the departure of the last child from each run once the bus has returned to the transportation garage. Bus sanitization logs will be maintained for a period of 90 days.
- Additional health and safety protocols will be implemented, to the extent feasible, for special transportation when one or more students are not able to wear a face covering /mask. This may include spacing of students in seats, assigned seating, keeping bus windows open, etc. to minimize risk.
- On those buses with specialized transportation and equipment needs, bus aides or drivers will wipe down the equipment upon entrance to the bus. This will be noted in the cleaning log.
Signage will be posted on all busses explaining the rules posted above.