Ferndale Lower Elementary School (K-2)
As a primary school, Ferndale Lower Elementary is designed with the young learner in mind. Teachers use curriculum and learning techniques based on brain-research that enhance visual learning and include music and movement while taking into consideration the individual strengths and needs of each child. Additionally, the program's reputation for excellence is based on a philosophy that fosters independence, promotes self-directed learning, and provides instruction in a project-based environment. Students attending Ferndale Lower Elementary School transition to Ferndale Upper Elementary School for grades 3-5.
Back to School Story
Our Lower Elementary team has made a helpful book for our early learners, to help explain what is going on. Look through this PDF at your next story time!
Proudly Partnered with Playworks
Students at Ferndale Lower Elementary School learn more than academics. We prepare our students for success inside and outside of the classroom and into the future. Guided by our district-wide Character Education initiative, we are helping our students SOAR. View our Matrix!
Points of Pride
- Award-winning National School of Character
- Awarded Michigan Expert Super Green School for incorporating sustainability into everyday practices for 5 consecutive years
- Programs designed specifically for primary students
- Strong intervention programs to support diverse learning needs
- Parental involvement support and engagement programs
- School Family atmosphere for the whole family
This program is designed for students who:
- Are eligible to attend kindergarten, having turned five on or before September 1st of the school year;
- Are developmentally young;
- Will benefit from classroom instruction designed with more frequent movement, reduced length of instructional periods, increased use of manipulative and motor activities, and a focus on social and emotional development;
- The Ferndale Schools kindergarten curriculum serves as the basis for the First 5s program with instruction provided in all core content areas. Pre-reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills are emphasized as are mathematics skills.
Lower Elementary Principal: Diana Keefe
Diana Keefe has been principal of Ferndale's Lower Elementary program since 2014. Ms. Keefe is committed to developing relationships and connecting with staff, students, parents, and the surrounding community. A high priority of hers is to forge a strong partnership with the Ferndale early childhood community, including outreach to home childcare providers, private & public preschools, and anyone involved in early childhood. She invites any parents of young children or childcare providers to contact her and set up a visit. If you are interested in meeting with Diana Keefe, please call (248) 586-8800 or email her at Diana.Keefe@ferndaleschools.org.
Returning to Learning
- K-2 Supply Lists
- Traffic Map
- Kindergarten Orientation Letter
- FLower Welcome Letter
- Read Aloud Book List
- » Elementary PTA Page
- Elementary PTA Facebook Page
SchoolPay: Online Payment System for camp, child care, event, and organizations