Ferndale Lower Elementary
As a primary school, Ferndale Lower Elementary is designed with the young learner in mind. Teachers use curriculum and learning techniques based on brain-research that enhance visual learning and include music and movement while taking into consideration the individual strengths and needs of each child. Additionally, the program's reputation for excellence is based on a philosophy that fosters independence, promotes self-directed learning, and provides instruction in a project-based environment. Students attending Ferndale Lower Elementary School transition to Ferndale Upper Elementary School for grades 3-5
- 8:28am to 3:28pm (M,T, Th,F)
- 8:28am to 2:28pm (W)
Back to School Story
Our Lower Elementary team has made a helpful book for our early learners, to help explain what is going on. Look through this PDF at your next story time!
Records DayDate: Jun 13Location: All Sites - All SpacesCalendar: Ferndale Lower Elementary Calendar
FLower: ECG/PTA Meeting Virtually 6:30PM 6:30 PM to 7:30 PMFLower: ECG/PTA Meeting Virtually 6:30PMDate: Jun 14Time: 6:30 PM to 7:30 PMLocation: Ferndale Lower El (Roosevelt) - Lower El Building WideCalendar: Ferndale Lower Elementary CalendarECG/PTA Meeting Virtually 6:30 pm
Board Selects Dr. Bobbie Hayes Goodrum As Superintendent
Ferndale Schools Board of Education unanimously (7-0) moved to offer Dr. Bobbie Hayes Goodrum a contract to serve as the district’s next Superintendent on Wednesday.
“The Board of Education was very excited to have such an excellent pool of candidates to select from. I want to thank the community for providing input on what they were looking for in our next leader. This feedback was vital in developing the selection criteria which we used as guidance during the entire selection process.
Based upon our selection criteria, Dr. Hayes Goodrum continually rose to the top of our list at each stage in this process. We are so excited to welcome her to our Ferndale Family; she is the right fit to lead our school community forward," said Sandra Dukhie, President, Ferndale Schools Board of Education.
The selection of Dr. Hayes Goodrum marks the conclusion of an extensive search process. You can learn more about the search process by clicking the link. The Board of Education will now work with Ray and Associates to enter into contract negotiations with Dr. Hayes Goodrum. Once negotiations are complete the contract will be voted on by the Board of Education at a future meeting.
To learn more about Dr. Hayes Goodrum, view her Bio & Resume.
New Elementary Update
The new Lower Elementary School is rising! All three academic wings are beginning to soar at the Jackson Park construction site. We are so excited to see this community asset taking shape.
Summer School Bus Schedule
Summer programs begin on June 27th for registered students. Bus times are listed below.
Curbside and Summer Food Service UPDATE
Our last curbside meal pick-up of the school year will be available on Monday, May 23rd. This is due to the Holiday Schedule and the frequent half days the last week of school. Contact email@example.com with questions.
Summer Meet Up and Eat Up food service will begin serving breakfast and lunch on the dates and locations below:
- June 20th at the Detroit Curling Club in Martin Road Park, 1615 E Lewiston Ave
- June 27th at FHS, 881 Pinecrest Dr
- June 27th at Ferndale Lower Elementary School, 2610 Pinecrest Dr.
View the flyers below for time and location details.
Students at Ferndale Lower Elementary School learn more than academics. We prepare our students for success inside and outside of the classroom and into the future. Guided by our district-wide Character Education initiative, we are helping our students SOAR. View our Matrix!
Points of Pride
- Award-winning National School of Character
- Awarded Michigan Expert Super Green School for incorporating sustainability into everyday practices for 5 consecutive years
- Programs designed specifically for primary students
- Strong intervention programs to support diverse learning needs
- Parental involvement support and engagement programs
- School Family atmosphere for the whole family
This program is designed for students who:
- Are eligible to attend kindergarten, having turned five on or before September 1st of the school year;
- Are developmentally young;
- Will benefit from classroom instruction designed with more frequent movement, reduced length of instructional periods, increased use of manipulative and motor activities, and a focus on social and emotional development;
- The Ferndale Schools kindergarten curriculum serves as the basis for the First 5s program with instruction provided in all core content areas. Pre-reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills are emphasized as are mathematics skills.
Lower Elementary Principal: Diana Keefe
Diana Keefe has been principal of Ferndale's Lower Elementary program since 2014. Ms. Keefe is committed to developing relationships and connecting with staff, students, parents, and the surrounding community. A high priority of hers is to forge a strong partnership with the Ferndale early childhood community, including outreach to home childcare providers, private & public preschools, and anyone involved in early childhood. She invites any parents of young children or childcare providers to contact her and set up a visit. If you are interested in meeting with Diana Keefe, please call (248) 586-8800 or email her at Diana.Keefe@ferndaleschools.org.