Ferndale Lower Elementary
As a primary school, Ferndale Lower Elementary is designed with the young learner in mind. Teachers use curriculum and learning techniques based on brain-research that enhance visual learning and include music and movement while taking into consideration the individual strengths and needs of each child. Additionally, the program's reputation for excellence is based on a philosophy that fosters independence, promotes self-directed learning, and provides instruction in a project-based environment. Students attending Ferndale Lower Elementary School transition to Ferndale Upper Elementary School for grades 3-5
- 8:28am to 3:28pm (M,T, Th,F)
- 8:28am to 2:28pm (W)
Back to School Story
Our Lower Elementary team has made a helpful book for our early learners, to help explain what is going on. Look through this PDF at your next story time!
FLower: FLEL - Early Release at 2:28PMDate: Jan 19Time: 8:28 AM to 2:28 PMLocation: Ferndale Lower El (Roosevelt) - Lower El Building WideCalendar: Ferndale Lower Elementary Calendar
FLower: FLEL - Half Day - Dismissal at 11:43AM 8:28 AM to 11:43 AMFLower: FLEL - Half Day - Dismissal at 11:43AMDate: Jan 21Time: 8:28 AM to 11:43 AMLocation: Ferndale Lower El (Roosevelt) - Lower El Building WideCalendar: Ferndale Lower Elementary Calendar
FLower: FLEL - Kindness Challenge Week 8:28 AM to 3:28 PMFLower: FLEL - Kindness Challenge WeekDate: Jan 24Time: 8:28 AM to 3:28 PMLocation: Ferndale Lower El (Roosevelt) - Lower El Building WideCalendar: Ferndale Lower Elementary Calendar
FLower: FLEL - Early Release at 2:28PMDate: Jan 26Time: 8:28 AM to 2:28 PMLocation: Ferndale Lower El (Roosevelt) - Lower El Building WideCalendar: Ferndale Lower Elementary Calendar
FLower: Girls Group with Riley King 3:30 PM to 4:30 PMFLower: Girls Group with Riley KingDate: Jan 27Time: 3:30 PM to 4:30 PMLocation: Ferndale Lower El (Roosevelt) - Lower El Art RoomCalendar: Ferndale Lower Elementary CalendarThis will be in the art room
FLower: FLEL - Early Release at 2:28PMDate: Feb 2Time: 8:28 AM to 2:28 PMLocation: Ferndale Lower El (Roosevelt) - Lower El Building WideCalendar: Ferndale Lower Elementary Calendar
TIME CHANGE: Curbside Meal Pick-Up
Curbside Food Service times will be changed to 8:30-9:30 am, beginning Monday, January 17, 2022. 5 days of meals will still be provided for students currently enrolled in Ferndale Schools virtual learning.
Meet our Newest Curriculum & SACC Leader
Please join us in welcoming Tiwanya Robinson to our Ferndale Family. Tiwanya joins the district as a Curriculum Coordinator & SACC Coordinator. She brings over 20 years of experience in education to her new role with Ferndale Schools. She has served in a variety of capacities in education, including Instructional Coach, District-wide School Improvement Coach, and Climate & Culture Supervisor. Even with these amazing experiences, she is most proud of the years she spent teaching and earning a National Board certification for teaching. Her educational background includes a Bachelor of Science in Child Development/Education from Michigan State University and a Master’s of Education from Wayne State University in Reading.
Update Notification Preferences Ahead of Winter Weather
Please login to Remind and set your notification preferences to make sure you receive updates on weather closures and other important notifications.
- Click here or navigate to Remind.com
- Click the down arrow to the right of your name
- Select Account Settings from the dropdown menu
- Select Notification preferences from the new Side Navigation, and set your notifications.
- Phone numbers and emails should automatically be added for you through MISTAR. To add or update phone or email, visit the MISTAR Parent Connect Portal.
Students at Ferndale Lower Elementary School learn more than academics. We prepare our students for success inside and outside of the classroom and into the future. Guided by our district-wide Character Education initiative, we are helping our students SOAR. View our Matrix!
Points of Pride
- Award-winning National School of Character
- Awarded Michigan Expert Super Green School for incorporating sustainability into everyday practices for 5 consecutive years
- Programs designed specifically for primary students
- Strong intervention programs to support diverse learning needs
- Parental involvement support and engagement programs
- School Family atmosphere for the whole family
This program is designed for students who:
- Are eligible to attend kindergarten, having turned five on or before September 1st of the school year;
- Are developmentally young;
- Will benefit from classroom instruction designed with more frequent movement, reduced length of instructional periods, increased use of manipulative and motor activities, and a focus on social and emotional development;
- The Ferndale Schools kindergarten curriculum serves as the basis for the First 5s program with instruction provided in all core content areas. Pre-reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills are emphasized as are mathematics skills.
Lower Elementary Principal: Diana Keefe
Diana Keefe has been principal of Ferndale's Lower Elementary program since 2014. Ms. Keefe is committed to developing relationships and connecting with staff, students, parents, and the surrounding community. A high priority of hers is to forge a strong partnership with the Ferndale early childhood community, including outreach to home childcare providers, private & public preschools, and anyone involved in early childhood. She invites any parents of young children or childcare providers to contact her and set up a visit. If you are interested in meeting with Diana Keefe, please call (248) 586-8800 or email her at Diana.Keefe@ferndaleschools.org.