About Ferndale Lower Elementary
As a primary school, Ferndale Lower Elementary is designed with the young learner in mind. Teachers use curriculum and learning techniques based on brain-research that enhance visual learning and include music and movement while taking into consideration the individual strengths and needs of each child. Additionally, the program's reputation for excellence is based on a philosophy that fosters independence, promotes self-directed learning, and provides instruction in a project-based environment. Students attending Ferndale Lower Elementary School transition to Ferndale Upper Elementary School for grades 3-5.
- 8:28am to 3:28pm (M,T, Th,F)
- 8:28am to 2:28pm (W)
Students at Ferndale Lower Elementary School learn more than academics. We prepare our students for success inside and outside of the classroom and into the future. Guided by our district-wide Character Education initiative, we are helping our students SOAR. View our Matrix!
Points of Pride
- Award-winning National School of Character
- Awarded Michigan Expert Super Green School for incorporating sustainability into everyday practices for 5 consecutive years
- Programs designed specifically for primary students
- Strong intervention programs to support diverse learning needs
- Parental involvement support and engagement programs
- School Family atmosphere for the whole family
This program is designed for students who:
- Are eligible to attend kindergarten, having turned five on or before September 1st of the school year;
- Are developmentally young;
- Will benefit from classroom instruction designed with more frequent movement, reduced length of instructional periods, increased use of manipulative and motor activities, and a focus on social and emotional development;
- The Ferndale Schools kindergarten curriculum serves as the basis for the First 5s program with instruction provided in all core content areas. Pre-reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills are emphasized as are mathematics skills.