University High School
University High School is a public high school with a rigorous college prep curriculum. UHS is for students committed to success in high school and beyond. College Success is our first goal. Our partnership with Wayne State University enables all seniors to attend class on the WSU campus. Selected UHS students may even earn college credits through dual enrollment.
New students enter UHS in Grade 9 or 10. During the enrollment windows, applications are accepted from students who live throught the Metro Detroit area, in Oakland, Wayne & Macomb Counties and other counties adjacent to Oakland County, through Schools of Choice.
A Proven Record of College Achievement
UHS graduates are currently outpacing the state for all students in post-secondary enrollment.
- Ranked in the Top 15% Statewide for College Success
- 80% College Retention
- 90% College Enrollment
- 98% High School Graduation Rate
- 100% of Seniors Attend Class on College Campus
Through Wayne State, the C2 Pipeline program offers on-site after school tutoring and enrichment. Students are engaged through hands-on, project-based learning activities in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). An emphasis is placed on careers in STEM and the healthcare profession. Learn more at the C2 Pipeline Webpage.
College Success Advisor
College-Prep at UHS doesn't end with graduation. Our college success advisor follows students through college, making campus visits and assisting students.
COVID-19 & Student Engagement
We will keep working throughout the school closure to ensure that our students have opportunities to continue and enrich their learning. Our students are dedicated to their schooling and we know how important maintaining continuous contact and learning opportunities are during this national crisis.
Educating Our Students
- Our teachers are providing online enrichment opportunities
- Using Google Classrooms
- Our teachers are creating and distributing additional content for our students (both print and online)
Supporting Students & Families
- Our C2 Pipeline offers daily online activities from 2PM-5PM
- Mrs. Mracna and Mr. Gardner are holding daily online live chat sessions (by grade) to answer questions and concerns from students. Session starts at 1 PM.
- Last week we had a tremendous response and were so happy to see so many of our students’ faces and hear their experiences. It was not only a great time to relay information and answer questions, but we also laughed and shared jokes to make our day a little brighter. We look forward to the same this week!
Preparing Our Spaces
- Our custodial staff is deep cleaning the building and wiping every surface with disinfectant.
- Senior Classes on University Campus
- Highly Qualified, Dedicated and Skilled Teachers
- Safe, Supportive, Caring Learning Environment
- College Transition Specialist & College Success Advisor Staff Positions
- Involved Students:DECA, MHSAA Athletics, NHS, Robotics, Student Council, and more!
Student Activities & Athletics
Several very active school clubs and athletics opportunities give students experiences beyond the classroom where they excel, as well. Students are involved in DECA, Michigan’s largest organization for students preparing to become leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management. Several UHS students compete at the national DECA championships each year. Learn about all of our Clubs & Activities.
Current UHS Athletics Programs
- Girls Volleyball
- Girls Basketball
- Girls Track & Field
- Girls Softball
- Sideline Cheer (for Basketball)
- Boys Basketball
- Boys Track & Field
Current UHS/FHS Cooperative Athletics Programs
- Girls Swim & Dive
- Girls Soccer
- Girls Tennis
- Cross Country
- Boys Golf
- Boys Swim & Dive
- Boys Baseball
The UHS boys basketball team won the 2013 MHSAA District 24 Basketball Championship. In 2012, the UHS girls basketball team achieved Academic All-State status. Both the girls and boys teams are frequently district finalists.
UHS students play on the Ferndale Eagles Football team alongside thier neighbors at FHS. The team was at the top of the league in 2019.
The girls volleyball team reached the sem-finals in the league tournament in 2017. 3 athletes were named to All-League teams, including the 2017 Conference Volleyball Player of the Year.
Returning to Learning
Upcoming event dates and times can be found on our Returning to Learning Building Info page.
Principal: David Gardner
David Gardner graduated from Wayne State University and has been an educator since 2006. He has been an educator at Ferndale Public Schools, specifically at University High School, since then. He has worked tirelessly as a classroom teacher, counselor, assistant principal, and finally principal to ensure the success of every student at UHS.
"UHS is about relationships and helping students succeed, not only today, but also tomorrow and beyond."
Contact Mr. Gardner by email at David.Gardner@FerndaleSchools.org or call (248) 586-8852.